Opera features in Firefox

Any other tech-related topics
guinness

Opera features in Firefox

#1 Post by guinness »

Seems Firefox users can now add additional functionality that is present in Opera but not in Firefox by way of using an extension. :mrgreen: (lautrepay, I didn't mention anything about Opera directly :wink: )

Source: http://www.ghacks.net/2012/03/29/classi ... o-firefox/

tproli

Re: Opera features in Firefox

#2 Post by tproli »

Interesting, but adds mainly tab-related functionality. I remember installing 30+ extenstions to get my Firefox behave as Opera :)

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

tproli wrote:Interesting, but adds mainly tab-related functionality. I remember installing 30+ extenstions to get my Firefox behave as Opera :)
Wow, I'm lost for words :mrgreen:

lautrepay

#4 Post by lautrepay »

Ha! This is a tricky thread to indirectly promote the use of Opera.
In a few minutes the senior leadership of Opera's army (tproli, Checker, joby_toss & cia) will be posting here... :evil:

:mrgreen:

But speaking seriously, I have to say that a "naked" Firefox does not have even half of the functionality of a "naked" Opera. But, with extensions, the things change. Only with TabMixPlus I get all the features that the article describes.

Nowadays I am going through the reverse path. That is to say, trying to reproduce the functions of my Firefox in my Opera.
And little by little I'm getting there. My latest discovery is "Open With Long-Click", that emulates in some way the function of "DblClicker".

lautrepay

#5 Post by lautrepay »

Ha! tproli is already here!!

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

I don't like to advertise this, but I am using Firefox 10 (11 soon) without extensions just for editing a wordpress blog. But once Opera 12 arrives with stable support for HTML5 drop and drag then I will be deleting Firefox once again.

carbonize

#7 Post by carbonize »

Some of them make no sense as they already exist in Firefox in some way.

shift-click on a tab closes it - Shift + middle click already does this
move the address bar underneath the tab bar - Don't get that one since we already have tabs on top option
move the bookmarks toolbar above the tab bar - Already is for me if I have tabs on top disabled
add “open link in background tab” to open link context menu - Open link in New Tab already opens in a background tab
shift-ctrl-click open links in background tab - Just middle click the link
shift-click opens link in new focused tab - Shift + middle click on a link does this

I sometimes think these things are just made by ex Opera users who haven't been bothered to RTFM.

abc

#8 Post by abc »

guinness wrote:I don't like to advertise this, but I am using Firefox 10 (11 soon) without extensions just for editing a wordpress blog. But once Opera 12 arrives with stable support for HTML5 drop and drag then I will be deleting Firefox once again.

Opera 12, Let the fan bois rejoice. :mrgreen:

carbonize

#9 Post by carbonize »

Is Opera not dead yet? Would of thought they would of called it a day once their userbase dropped below 0.5% of all web users ;)

guinness

#10 Post by guinness »

carbonize wrote:Is Opera not dead yet? Would of thought they would of called it a day once their userbase dropped below 0.5% of all web users ;)
All I have to say is 'Mobile Market'

dot

#11 Post by dot »

There is certainly one feature that Opera has that Firefox has not: it can't, by any means, be stopped from phoning home.

This was a deal breaker for me and made me (as a former regular Opera user) switch over to FF for good. Meanwhile, I'm so addicted to FF's add-ons (I find, the browser itself and the Mozilla Corporation suck) that I could never go back to any other browser. Okay, the browser, with over 50 add-ons, is extremely slow to start up, but then I have it always up and running anyway.

Is there anyone who managed to make Opera NOT phone home (to "Opera Software ASA")? With Opera 10 at least I managed to make it phone home only about once a week, but later versions will do so every day (either after every start up or after every Windows reboot, can't remember exactly).

In addition, Opera can't provide, even with its new collection of extensions, the almost limitless functions that those thousands of FF add-ons provide. If some FF add-on coder imitates a new feature of Opera (like the Opera dials feature), he will usually provide additional and often even smarter functionality (as happened e.g. in the FF Speed Dial add-on).

I still like Opera because of its elegance, its speed and innovations, but it just can't compete with those add-ons for FF and, as a real deal breaker, it can't be stopped from phoning home.

carbonize

#12 Post by carbonize »

Yeah but have you seen Opera on Android :roll:

I personally use Dolphin on my phone and probably switch to Chrome once I get ICS. Opera was only really good on mobiles when we had limited bandwidth.

Hydaral

#13 Post by Hydaral »

carbonize wrote:Some of them make no sense as they already exist in Firefox in some way.

shift-click on a tab closes it - Shift + middle click already does this
What if your mouse doesn't have a middle button?

You don't even need the Shift, a middle-click will be enough.

Midas

#14 Post by Midas »

carbonize wrote:Yeah but have you seen Opera on Android :roll:

I personally use Dolphin on my phone and probably switch to Chrome once I get ICS. Opera was only really good on mobiles when we had limited bandwidth.
Tried Dolphin and didn't adjust; have Opera Mini installed, but only for poor bandwidth conditions; haven't decided yet between xScope, Skyfire and the Android default... :|

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

tproli wrote:Interesting, but adds mainly tab-related functionality. I remember installing 30+ extenstions to get my Firefox behave as Opera :)
How does the Opera feature set compare to Maxthon?