How long you have your OS installed

Any other tech-related topics
joby_toss

How long you have your OS installed

#1 Post by joby_toss »

webfork wrote:Still, there are advantages: portable software might not be as slick as commercial software, but it won't bog the computer down, constantly running all the time and stacking up registry cruft. Users won't need RAM upgrades and/or a new machine refresh every 2 years. I'm running into that situation with someone I know who thinks a 3 year laptop refresh is impossibly long.
Webfork's remark made me wonder.

I know for a fact that portable softwares and responsible behavior saved me bunch of time!

I (my family) have:
- one desktop PC (made from parts) with Windows XP Pro x86 installed about 10 years ago
- one HP laptop with Windows XP Home x86 installed about 5 years ago
- one Acer laptop with Windows 7 Pro x64 installed about 3 years ago

I currently have no problems with these installations, so no need for an OS renewal in the near future. I do use my machines. Every day for many hours.
I hope this state of fact will continue for many years!

I thank TPFC and everybody who helped me over the years to achieve this level of "success"! :)

freakazoid

Re: How long you have your OS installed

#2 Post by freakazoid »

I've always stayed with the original OS that my computer came with on all my PCs. (I have only one PC that runs Windows 7 on a small HTPC. The rest are all XP.)

For some of my older laptops, I am thinking of putting a linux distro on there. But I probably won't do that since I would be barely using them anyway and I would save many man hours trying to configure them!
is it stealth? ;)

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

I'm the same, if it wasn't for Portable software I probably would be reinstalling every 6 months (which is recommended) but as it stands I think it was 18 months ago and that was because I was messing around though I can't remember what I did.

If anyone is interested in knowing when you installed the OS then let me know, I have a VB script which can tell you but will first have to find it.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

I remember I already uploaded something similar, to find the Install Date, download the VBS Script called WindowsOS.vbs and run it. It can be found here >> http://softwarespot.wordpress.com/code/vbscript/

stevegutry

#5 Post by stevegutry »

You can also find the installation date with system information programs such as "Piriform Speccy", SIW & Syspec - all of which can be found here.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:I currently have no problems with these installations, so no need for an OS renewal in the near future. I do use my machines. Every day for many hours.
I hope this state of fact will continue for many years!
Great news.

I *just* refreshed my XP install. :)

Napiophelios

#7 Post by Napiophelios »

guinness wrote:I remember I already uploaded something similar, to find the Install Date, download the VBS Script called WindowsOS.vbs and run it. It can be found here >> http://softwarespot.wordpress.com/code/vbscript/
guiness I get this error message when I try to run the file

How do I find out if vbs scripts are even usable on my computer?
cuz I always get error messages whenever I try to execute one (not just this one)

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

I presume your OS is Windows XP SP3 as my script works in XP SP3 and above. But to answer your question try this >> https://situsnya.wordpress.com/2009/05/ ... -host-wsh/

SYSTEM

#9 Post by SYSTEM »

I've had my current OS installed since January 7.

I have used RT Se7en Lite (not portable) to tweak my copy of Windows 7 before installation. Because it's very easy to accidentally break something with it, I have installed Windows 7 multiple times: after every install I have looked for problems and fixed them in the next custom build.

I'm currently using my fourth and final custom build of Windows 7.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Napiophelios

#10 Post by Napiophelios »

I pretty much do the same thing with XP and nLite. :)
My XP is always evolving,trying to get the perfect setup for my pc
My current install has been intact for over a year tho
I have my copy of XP whittled down to a 200mb install disc :D

I think I may have removed vbs support somewhere along the line :?

guinness

#11 Post by guinness »

I think I may have removed vbs support somewhere along the line
These 'lite' programs have a tendency to strip what they deem as not important or don't make it obvious to a user that by de-selecting this option you will in fact not be able to run VBScripts or PowerShell scripts from here on in.