Banned torrent clients

Any other tech-related topics
carbonize

Banned torrent clients

#1 Post by carbonize »

Thought I would post this which is the list of banned torrent clients on a site I have used once and had to join because of it. I found it funny with things liek Shareaza and Opera being banned because they are "Not a proper torrent client" :lol:

The first part is their general rules and a list of what clients/version are allowed and the second part is the banned list.

Code: Select all

** If your client/version is not found on the approved list below, please consider it to be non-approved and use an approved client/version.

** Usage of non-approved clients/versions is blocked by our tracker, your client will not be able to seed or leach and your client will receive a banned client message.

** Usage of non-approved clients/versions will not result in your account being warned or disabled, however your account continues to be subject to all the site rules.  

** Only stable releases will be tested for approval - Alpha, Beta, Release Candidates, Experimental versions will not be tested with the exception of uTorrentMac.

** Please feel free to let the staff know of any newly released versions and they will schedule the testing of the version as soon as possible.

** Testing of new clients/versions is a co-operative effort between volunteers and the staff to ensure that the client/version is properly and fairly communicating with the tracker.

** Final decision on whether a client/version is approved or non-approved for this site resides with the Sysops/Administrators.

Multi-Platform Clients (Windows, Linux and Mac)

Vuze
Recommended version: 4.2.0.2 {Download Links: Windows  Mac  Linux}
Only approved versions: 2.5.0.4, 4.1.0.2, 4.1.0.4, 4.2.0.0, 4.2.0.2,4.6.0.0, 4.6.02,4.6.0.4, 4.6.0.5
Latest version tested: 4.6.0.5 (Result: Approved)
Notes: Azureus/Vuze downgrade information here

WARNING! Vuze 4.5.0.0, 4.5.0.2, 4.5.0.4, 4.5.1.0,  4.5.1.1  are not approved and you will use it at your own risk, including if you get disabled for cheating in any way when you were not or loss of ratio. The Site is not responsible for how Vuze 4.5.x.x versions behaves.

BitTornado (aka Torrentflux)
Recommended version: 0.3.18 {Download Links: Windows  Mac  Linux}
Only approved versions: 0.3.17, 0.3.18
Latest version tested: 0.3.18 (Result: Approved)
Notes: 0.3.18 is experimental but still approved

Windows Clients

uTorrent

Recommended version: 1.8.2 {Download Link: Windows}
Only approved versions: 1.6.1, 1.7.7, 1.8.2, 1.8.3
Latest version tested: 3.0.0.0 (Result: NOT Approved)
: 3.0.0.0 (Result: NOT Approved)

version 3.1.0.0 banned due to not rejecting bad crc data

uTorrent downgrade information here

WARNING! uTorrent 2.0.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2 , 2.0.3 , 2.0.4, 2.1.0.0 and 2.2.0.0 and 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.2 are not approved and you will use it at your own risk, including if you get disabled for cheating in any way when you were not or loss of ratio. The Site is not responsible for how uT 2.x or 3.x versions behaves.

Deluge
Recommended version: 1.3.3 {Download Link: Windows}
Only approved versions: 1.2.3, 1.3.3
Latest version tested: 1.3.3 (Result: Approved)
Notes: n/a

WARNING! Deluge 1.3.0 & 1.3.1 are no longer approved and you will use it at your own risk, including if you get disabled for cheating in any way when you were not or loss of ratio. The Site is not responsible for how Deluge 1.3.x versions behaves.  
(reason being that live results have yielded very poor/bad announces)

Code: Select all

ABC (Randomly reports bad stats to the tracker.)
Acquisition (Not a proper torrent client.)
Ares (Beta client. Support and bug fixing appears to be weak at best.)
BinTorrent (Users have been caught cheating with this client.)
BitComet (All versions of BitComet report bad stats to the tracker and many leak to DHT.)
BitLord (Based on old buggy BitComet code.)
BitRocket (Does not conform to the torrent specification for client identification.)
Bits on Wheels (Support no longer provided and bugs are no longer being fixed.)
BitSpirit (Randomly sends DHT packets to its own public tracker.)
BitThief (Downloads from BitTorrent without contributing any resources itself)
BitTorrentPlus
Bittorrent++ (Does not uniquely identify itself.)
BitTorrent / Mainline (Does not honor the protocol requirements of private trackers.)
BitTyrant
BTG (Client has not been evaluated for approval.)
BT Next Evolution (This client has not been tested for suitability for use with private trackers.)
btpd-0.7 (Possible stats errors. Has resulted in multiple accounts being disabled.)
BTQueue (Has not been validated.)
burst! (No longer maintained.)
CTorrent and clones (Improper reporting / client is no longer supported.)
Deadman Walking (Does not identify itself properly to the tracker.)
Download Direct (Download Direct is a download manager, not a torrent client.)
ed2k plugin (Not a proper torrent client.)
eDonkey2000 (Not a proper Torrent client.)
eXeem (Not a proper Torrent client.)
Fast Torrent (Has the capability to mis-identify itself.)
folx (Not a proper Torrent client.)
FoxTorrent / Red Swoosh Client (Buggy client; still too early in its development.)
Flashget will get your account disabled.
Free Download Manager (Not a torrent client.)
FrostWire (Variant of LimeWire, unsuitable for private torrent site use.)
G3 (Consistently reports bad stats to the tracker)
Gnome BitTorrent (A BitTorrent client for Linux/Unix)
LimeWire (Leaks swarm info.)
MediaGet
Miro (Does not uniquely identify itself (as of version 1.1.))
MLdonkey (Not a proper torrent client.)
Monsoon
Nova Torrent (May not report correctly to the tracker when canceling/finishing a torrent session.)
0P3R4H
Opera (Not a proper torrent client)
Python-urllib/2.0 (Accounts disabled for stats errors or cheating)
Python-urllib/2.0a1 (Accounts disabled for stats errors or cheating)
Python-urllib/2.1 (Accounts disabled for stats errors or cheating)
qBittorrent (Does not identify its version correctly.)
QTorrent (Does not identify itself correctly.)
Retriever (Not a proper Torrent client.)
Rufus (Stats errors)
Shareaza (Not a proper Torrent client.)
Tixati (using this will get you automatically disabled by the tracker)
Torrent Station (Does not uniquely identify itself.)
TorrentStorm (Development and bug fixes ceased in 2005)
Torrent Swapper
Transmission 1.81 (using this will get you automatically disabled by the tracker)
Tribler (Based on ABC; the design of this client is unsuitable for private trackers. Using this will get you automaticall disabled by the tracker.)
Turbo Torrent (Associated with stats errors.  Known to contain spyware.)
XBT (Does not identify itself on the swarm / can be configured to pretend to be another client.)
Xtorrent (Client for Mac OS X / Numerous bugs make it bad for private tracker use.  Using this will get you automatically disabled by the tracker.)

webfork

Re: Banned torrent clients

#2 Post by webfork »

carbonize wrote:Thought I would post this which is the list of banned torrent clients on a site I have used once and had to join because of it. I found it funny with things liek Shareaza and Opera being banned because they are "Not a proper torrent client" :lol:
I know there have been plenty of clients over time that have promised to work faster by tweaking the protocol, and I assume every new Torrent client has to try and up the ante, but I am surprised so many have failed the test of these folks.

This makes me think at some point you'd think they'd fork the Torrent protocol altogether and make something standardized that enforces desired user behavior (primarily good network behavior and adequate sharing).

carbonize

#3 Post by carbonize »

Given the site is called The Geeks the staff seem to be either incredibly stupid or just lazy. Below are the three parts of a conversation I've had with them via PM. It goes me, him, me.
Just read the changelog for uTorrent 3.1 and it says, for the latest release, Fix: peers sending bad data were not being banned correctly. So may be worth testing it again.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=112660
Hi,

thanks for that information.

Unfortunately though you are using a un-approved/non-recommended torrent client - uTorrent 3.0.1.B
continued use of this torrent client through this site may result in your account being disabled.
I suggest you look here ~ Allowed/Banned BitTorrent Clients list for a list of approved clients and install one of them instead.

bobcprimus {moderator}
I've already read it which is why I sent that link as it looked like they had fixed the issue you appear to have with it. And where did I say I was using that particular client?

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

carbonize wrote:I've already read it which is why I sent that link as it looked like they had fixed the issue you appear to have with it. And where did I say I was using that particular client?
*Shrug*

Maybe you missed the bit where you explain why he should retest uTorrent (e.g. uTorrent is the most popular, you use it and its portable and need it to do something, etc.). He may have more reasons than breaking the protocol once to not want to retest it. Maybe its also not cross platform (Linux), not open source or something like that.