Aggressive Anti-Phishing sites

Any other tech-related topics
Darkbee

Aggressive Anti-Phishing sites

#1 Post by Darkbee »

Does anyone know of any Internet communities that "aggressively" fight-back against phishing websites? I recently received a Paypal phishing email and took great delight at providing "Paypal" with a choice-word/s username and password. I found it to be of great stress relief to give them bogus information, and was amused no end when they asked for my ATM PIN number... as if!

I saw an old Digg, in which someone had posted a link to a phishing site and there were a few comments about people submitting their own bogus information. Now generally speaking I'm not for this kind of fighting fire with fire approach but in the case of phishing sites there seems to be an inherent advantage to hammering these fake sites:
1. It provides the criminals with completely useless information and wastes their time and effort, which in turn reduces the overall value of their efforts. (with the theory being of course, that if they are far more likely to fail to retrieve valid information then they are less likely to do it in the first place)
2. Hopefully, if enough Internet users were to flood the fraudulent site then it will be shutdown (because of bandwidth usage) before a poor unsuspecting novice does submit real information.

I use to think the same thing about spam i.e. "Let's spam the spammers" but this is not so valid because spam return email addresses are usually fake anyway and valuable mail server bandwidth is used up (of which the financial burden usually falls on legitimate customers (ultimately)). Is the same true of phishing sites, is it a futile exercise to bait the phishermen?

[edit]Oh and I also forgot to mention that I think these people are the scum of the earth. Since I don't believe in the death penalty, unfortunately if caught I don't think we should actually kill them, but I certainly think that they should be beaten to within an inch of their lives, every day, for the rest of their natural lives. But I am a nice person deep down, honest. *Darkbee whistles a merry tune and goes on his way*[/edit]

Toxteth O'Grady

#2 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

If you want to enter bogus information, you can find some tools here that might help:
http://thecarpcstore.com/phpbb2/

This is an anti-phishing, anti-spam, anti-some-more-stuff site. :)
http://www.knujon.com/

ahoier

#3 Post by ahoier »

Im a fan of phishtank.com...I dont know how "aggressive" they are in combating phishers...but between that site, other anti-phishing sites, and forwarding said e-mails to spoof@paypal.com, spoof@ebay.com, et all...most of them don't last too long ;)

Sadly though...new ones pop up every day...and Im sure there's a lot of old grandma's and grandpa's (those, who are less-technical saavy) who fall for these sites daily...