Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 6

AyrA

Portable Windows XP?

#1 Post by AyrA »

Portable .NET 2.0, 3.5 and 4.0 in one executable!
Size: 261 MB (274'452'287 Bytes)
Download: https://ayra.ch/apps/default.asp?show=79
Direct link: https://ayra.ch/apps/bin/FULL.NET.zip

If you only need the Portable .NET 2.0 see here it's much smaller

Have Fun!

Please note: This app has only been tested on Windows XP

Poll: The Portable XP Project will never include a Windows XP because you need a valid license, but it contains everything to make Windows XP portable.
Last edited by AyrA on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m^(2)

Re: FULL.NET

#2 Post by m^(2) »

AyrA wrote:Poll: The Portable XP Project will never include a Windows XP because you need a valid license, but it contains everything to make Windows XP portable.

Please note: This app has only been tested on Windows XP
Hey, it's the 2nd of April already...

AyrA

#3 Post by AyrA »

I am really making a portable windows XP

m^(2)

#4 Post by m^(2) »

And how is it supposed to work?
Boot from USB? VM? Windows PE?

AyrA

#5 Post by AyrA »

m^(2) wrote:And how is it supposed to work?
i have no idea.
I can't use a VM because you can't run VM's portable, they need lol level hardware access and Drivers.
Booting from USB: Nope, i want to use the Operating system already installed on the Computer, you can't really make a Windows USB Install because of the different Drivers needed.
Finally: It has to run without Administrative rights.

SYSTEM

#6 Post by SYSTEM »

AyrA wrote: I can't use a VM because you can't run VM's portable, they need lol level hardware access and Drivers.
That's not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU
Wikipedia wrote: One feature exclusive to QEMU is portability: The virtual machines can be run on any PC, even those where the user has only limited rights with no administrator access, realizing the "PC-on-a-USB-stick" concept.
We have Qemu Manager in the database and I personally use it sometimes. However, QEMU is very slow because it has to emulate every single processor instruction.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

tproli

#7 Post by tproli »

AyrA wrote:I am really making a portable windows XP
:shock:
unable to resolve

AyrA

#8 Post by AyrA »

What if it really works?
If you can carry an operating system and launch it just by double clicking?
i'm also thinking about a portable Linux

m^(2)

#9 Post by m^(2) »

It's been done to linux:
http://colinux.org/
If what you want is an XP equivalent of this, I don't believe you'll succeed.

AyrA

#10 Post by AyrA »

m^(2) wrote:... I don't believe you'll succeed.
I can already natively run MS-DOS 6.22 on Windows XP (and therefore install a Windows ME or older on it) and play again my loved 120 MB of DOS Games again. I am sure with XP this works too (some day...)
The ultimate problem i have are the missing admin rights on some machines. I can't redirect every call without administrative rights

AyrA

#11 Post by AyrA »

SYSTEM wrote:We have Qemu Manager in the database and I personally use it sometimes. However, QEMU is very slow because it has to emulate every single processor instruction.
QEMU is an Emulator, not a VM.
Therefore it's way slower because of the Emulation Process. A VM can most likely just "watch" over the OS and keeps it in its Borders, but an Emulator emulates Hardware, with the advantage that you can simulate Hardware that is not Compatible with the Architecture the Emulator runs on.
And have you ever tried to Run Windows XP on a Flash Drive with it? Its horrible and I am not sure who in this Forum has already a fast enough USB Drive to actually enjoy the Emulation.

But because of QEMU i think I drop the whole Windows XP Project.

m^(2)

#12 Post by m^(2) »

AyrA wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:We have Qemu Manager in the database and I personally use it sometimes. However, QEMU is very slow because it has to emulate every single processor instruction.
QEMU is an Emulator, not a VM.
Therefore it's way slower because of the Emulation Process. A VM can most likely just "watch" over the OS and keeps it in its Borders, but an Emulator emulates Hardware, with the advantage that you can simulate Hardware that is not Compatible with the Architecture the Emulator runs on.
And have you ever tried to Run Windows XP on a Flash Drive with it? Its horrible and I am not sure who in this Forum has already a fast enough USB Drive to actually enjoy the Emulation.

But because of QEMU i think I drop the whole Windows XP Project.
No, QEMU is both emulator and VM. When host and guest CPU architectures match, it doesn't do emulation.

AyrA

#13 Post by AyrA »

QEMU supports virtualization when executing under the Xen hypervisor or using the KVM kernel module in Linux
Virtualization is therefore not applicable for most Windows Hosts (don't think anybody of us has a Xen Processor on a Non-Server Machine), thats the problem.
As far as I know you need Drivers under Windows to enable Virtualization (Can be found in the Device Manager when enableing the "Show hidden Drivers" option as soon as you install a VM).
btw. I have tried the QEMU Manager. Wonderfull Tool except one single Disadvantage: It required Administrative Rights (my Vista asked vor administrative rights on startup) and thats bad because QEMU doesn't require them.

Probably we should open another Thread about this instead of talking here, can be pretty annoying for others if they just want the .NET Portable

Emka

#14 Post by Emka »

AyrA wrote:I can't use a VM because you can't run VM's portable
There is an unofficial portable version of VirtualBox somewhere out there, which deletes drivers upon exit. It needs, however, admin rights.

bob92132

#15 Post by bob92132 »

This is fantastic. Just what I was looking for. Works great! THANKS.