Alternatives to Google search

Any other tech-related topics
Magibon

Re: Alternatives to Google search

#31 Post by Magibon »

Toxteth O'Grady wrote: https://www.startpage.com/
i hear about Google and how they track usage, etc.
it doesn't really bother me too much.

I have Opera set so nothing is saved.. not even cookies, use CCleaner before every reboot, constantly change my IP via TMAC, use OperaTor, HostsMan, etc.

If after all those precautions and Google is still able to pin-point who i am .. good for them.
i just don't see how my 'search terms' can be used against me..
it's not like im a terrorist or a spy..

i search on Google for quick answers.. and they usually are good at it.
if i can provide a few bit of data for their services.. i think it's a fair trade off.

I hear about truly 'private' search engines all the time..
i just don't see what the hype is all about..
Last edited by Magibon on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

carbonize

#32 Post by carbonize »

If you're not logged in then Google just uses your IP to track what you are up to. It's not just the searches they track but they also track any site you visit that uses either Adsense or Analytics. They claim this is so they can deliver ads that are better targeted at your interests. Another reason I prefer Firefox over Chrome since AdBlock Plus in Chrome does not stop the connection to the blocked ad server.

Magibon

#33 Post by Magibon »

carbonize wrote:If you're not logged in then Google just uses your IP to track what you are up to. It's not just the searches they track but they also track any site you visit that uses either Adsense or Analytics. They claim this is so they can deliver ads that are better targeted at your interests. Another reason I prefer Firefox over Chrome since AdBlock Plus in Chrome does not stop the connection to the blocked ad server.
it still doesn't bother me too much..
maybe it's because i take a lot of precautions and know how to keep my PC clean :)

im going to give StartPage a try..
i just set it as my default search engine..
wont hurt :P

carbonize

#34 Post by carbonize »

Again it doesn't matter how clean you keep your PC since the information is stored on their servers and based on your IP address at the time.

Also, going off your set up from the previous post, may I suggest seeing someone about your extreme paranoia?

webfork

#35 Post by webfork »

Magibon wrote:i search on Google for quick answers.. and they usually are good at it.
if i can provide a few bit of data for their services.. i think it's a fair trade off.
carbonize wrote:seeing someone about your extreme paranoia?
Not real clear where you're getting paranoia from Magibon's post.

guinness

#36 Post by guinness »

If he was paranoid then his signature breaks convention of someone trying to hide away. Or perhaps that's a proxy?

carbonize

#37 Post by carbonize »

Magibon wrote:I have Opera set so nothing is saved.. not even cookies, use CCleaner before every reboot, constantly change my IP via TMAC, use OperaTor, HostsMan, etc.

If after all those precautions and Google is still able to pin-point who i am .. good for them.
Hence the paranoia comment.

Magibon

#38 Post by Magibon »

carbonize wrote:
Magibon wrote:I have Opera set so nothing is saved.. not even cookies, use CCleaner before every reboot, constantly change my IP via TMAC, use OperaTor, HostsMan, etc.

Hence the paranoia comment.

lol.. not paranoid.
if i was paranoid.. i wouldn't use Google.

CCleaner: makes my computer faster
TMAC: my ISP issues 'static' IPs, and i need TMAC to force a change of IP, which i do to prevent being hacked.. not so much due to paranoia.
HostsMan: blocks servers that track/ads/malware.
OperaTor: uses Tor for sensitive data.

i use those not so much because of paranoia.. but for speed/performance.. it just happens to also provide the added benefit of security.

Per my signature:
that's the closest server w/in 50 miles.. i don't even live in that state :)..

Paranoia ? i wouldn't say so..

Per Google: even if they can track me via it's server/my IP.. i change my IP so often it would require a lot of work for them to track me down.
If me searching for quick answers on Google is that important for them .. then good for them.

carbonize

#39 Post by carbonize »

Magibon wrote: i need TMAC to force a change of IP, which i do to prevent being hacked.. not so much due to paranoia.
OperaTor: uses Tor for sensitive data.
Both of those statements smack of paranoia. The only way your computer is going to get hacked is if you download something stupid (on purpose or via a browser exploit) in which case changing your IP wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

As to use TOR for sensitive data you think using a direct SSL connection is less secure than sending your data through X number of servers being run by god only knows who?

joby_toss

#40 Post by joby_toss »

m^(2)

#41 Post by m^(2) »

Magibon wrote:Per Google: even if they can track me via it's server/my IP.. i change my IP so often it would require a lot of work for them to track me down.
If me searching for quick answers on Google is that important for them .. then good for them.
You underestimate them.
You have a unique user ID stored in a cookie. They don't need your IP other then to notice that you reinstalled your system (Or changed a browser. Or moved.).

webfork

#42 Post by webfork »

Glad for this thread -- really enjoying the DuckDuckGo engine, which I've found in many ways more accurate and minimalistic than Google.
I am Baas wrote:DuckDuckGo is one of my favorites too. I use the encrypted ssl version.
This was pretty much the clincher. Thanks Baas.

freakazoid

#43 Post by freakazoid »

Thanks for posting about these alternative search engines. However, I still prefer Google's search algorithm better.

If you want to use Google, but don't like the big G's tracking, use Scroogle:
http://www.scroogle.org/

They have a SSL version as well. I use it as a keyword search in both Opera and Pale Moon.

It's a little ugly, so implement a user style from userstyles.org or userscripts.org.
is it stealth? ;)

guinness

#44 Post by guinness »

Ghacks have a nice write up on the popular search engine.

Source: http://www.ghacks.net/2012/02/11/how-to ... xperience/

carbonize

#45 Post by carbonize »

Good reason not to use Scroogle other than it being ugly. I did a search for Lazarus Guestbook which I write and it returned saying "Google is temporarily blocking this Scroogle server when it sees the pattern of search terms you just entered.". Performed same search on Google with no problems. tried it again and got a 403 from Scroogle servers.

I'll stick with DDG.