It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Possible to have a thread where we just post a link?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:11 pm
Posts: 167
just wondering....sometimes i'll run across a program and notice it has a no-install or portable version available but tbh i'll might have no idea if its useful here at PFC...seems like it would save some time if we could just paste a link in some thread set up for this and some of the veterans on here could have a quick look to see if the program is worth considering or not...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible to have a thread where we just post a link?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Posts: 7216
Location: US, Texas
bzl333 wrote:
just wondering....sometimes i'll run across a program and notice it has a no-install or portable version available but tbh i'll might have no idea if its useful here at PFC...seems like it would save some time if we could just paste a link in some thread set up for this and some of the veterans on here could have a quick look to see if the program is worth considering or not...

We certainly welcome your effort and always like to hear about no-install / portable stuff. However if you're looking for your work to get noticed, there are certain qualities which tend to grab our attention:

  • Don't have any other program like it (some examples)
  • A strong recommendation from a regular
  • Clear description
  • Good idea of portability
  • Standard (no weird fine print) licenses
  • Source code available

Another option I've seen work is to list several at once. Just one or two programs might get overlooked, but the longer the list, the more likely someone's going to see a program that might scratch an itch.

_________________
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible to have a thread where we just post a link?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:11 pm
Posts: 167
ok...thanks Webfork....

(i thought you guys were trying to catalog most of what is avail out there but that prob takes too much time anyway....i'll only post if i see something good that isn't duplicated)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible to have a thread where we just post a link?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Posts: 7216
Location: US, Texas
bzl333 wrote:
ok...thanks Webfork....

(i thought you guys were trying to catalog most of what is avail out there but that prob takes too much time anyway....i'll only post if i see something good that isn't duplicated)


I think its an overall goal of the website, but with volunteer contributors and a voting system to get items posted to the main database, they need advocates and more than one of them. There are many programs that I've worked on or suggested that haven't made it into the database yet.

_________________
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible to have a thread where we just post a link?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Posts: 7216
Location: US, Texas
webfork wrote:
... there are certain qualities which tend to grab our attention:

  • Don't have any other program like it (some examples)
  • A strong recommendation from a regular
  • Clear description


I thought of another one:


:)

_________________
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible to have a thread where we just post a link?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:11 pm
Posts: 167
webfork wrote:
webfork wrote:
... there are certain qualities which tend to grab our attention:

  • Don't have any other program like it (some examples)
  • A strong recommendation from a regular
  • Clear description


I thought of another one:


:)


yeah, i like Nirsoft but his site and program GUI's could use a little modernizing....looking at his blog it seems like he puts out a new freeware app every week though....he must be a computer genius or something...

also, i was just hoping this site can grow like Gizmo's site and seems like it could...i mean with prices of netbooks and laptops getting so cheap people start messing around with multiple OSes and re-install OSes and partitioning etc and who wants to reinstall all the dozens and dozens of programs every time when you could just paste in a folder of your portable apps?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible to have a thread where we just post a link?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Posts: 7216
Location: US, Texas
bzl333 wrote:
yeah, i like Nirsoft but his site and program GUI's could use a little modernizing....looking at his blog it seems like he puts out a new freeware app every week though....he must be a computer genius or something...

I don't know what his motivation is, but I've certainly benefitted from his work on more occasions than I can count.

bzl333 wrote:
who wants to reinstall all the dozens and dozens of programs every time when you could just paste in a folder of your portable apps?

Absolutely. I very rarely actually use my portable apps on a portable drive -- they're all set up just exactly the way I want them so I can drop them on any machine I like and keep going where I left off. It would take days to download and reinstall all the software I have.

_________________
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group