VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility. It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is great for video capture and transcoding via third-party video codecs. It can also read MPEG-1 video files by default but requires Plugins Pack to open more types of video (adds FLIC, FLV, Matroska, MPEG-2, AC-3 and WMV).
VirtualDub Portable is a PortableApps.com format wrapper for VirtualDub. Alternatively, X-VirtualDub is also available.
||WinXP / Vista / Win7 / Win8
|Writes settings to:
Video codecs such as DivX, XVID, etc.
||Partial. VirtualDub supports unicode, but the PortableApps launcher doesn't.
|How to extract:
- Download the self-extracting EXE and extract to a folder of your choice
- Optionally, extract the Plugins Pack to the same destination directory
- Launch VirtualDubPortable.exe
- ExtEnc: Added %(outputbasename) to insert output filename without extension.
- ExtEnc: Editor UI now has a drop-down for tokens.
- Filters: Expanded color space support in resize filter.
- Preview: Return now also stops preview.
- AVI: Added Copy button to AVI file information dialog.
- AVI: Fixed bitsPerPixel value for NV12 output.
- Capture: Improved error handling in screen capture module.
- Capture: Fixed sporadic errors in DXGI 1.2 screen capture mode related to tracking pointer shape changes.
- Capture: Spill drives can be adjusted on Windows XP.
- Display: Fixed regression in D3D effects display mode.
- ExtEnc: Fixed weird selection behavior when duplicating item.
- Filters: Fixed script operation for Convert Format filter for the new modes.
- Filters: Fixed crash when attempting to crop video in a format that isn't AVI-compatible.
- Filters: Fixed cropping errors on alias format filter.
- Filters: Fixed issues with interpolate filter in nearest mode.
- GIF: Fixed shifted presentation timings when reading animated GIFs.
- Render: The processing priority setting now correctly adjusts the priority of filter and compression worker threads too when multithreading is enabled.
- TARGA: Fixed vertical inversion issues during read.
- UI: Add Windows 8.1 per-monitor DPI awareness support.