RIOT (Radical Image Optimization Tool) presents a before-and-after image compression view that allows you to reduce file size of an image into JPG, PNG, or GIF format. Includes optional metadata removal, batch operations, compression to a target file size, transparency options, and other common editing functions (flip, rotate, zoom, pan). Notable versus similar software in the ability to gradually reduce the available colors one-by-one (7, 8, 9, 10...), not just milestones of 16, 32, 64, etc.
The program is also available as a plugin for XnView, GIMP, or Irfanview (see website).
Functional in Linux using Wine. An old, unsupported version is available for earlier versions of Windows.
|System Requirements:||WinXP / Vista / Win7|
|Writes settings to:||Application folder|
|License:||Freeware for personal and non-profit use; commercial users are asked to donate $10+|
|How to extract:||
+ added Help file (not yet complete)
+ DLL version: added flags for all JPEG chroma settings
* DLL version: the default chroma for RIOT_SaveToFile is now "medium" instead of "low"
* Batch mode: fixed a bug when using a bat file as external PNG optimizer and @echo off is not on the first line.
This problem does not occur in normal mode.
* DLL version: fixed some sliders going nuts when pressed during tooltip display
* fixed preview executed twice when asked to resample big images
* Batch settings "Keep original date/time" and "Report file size changes" are now remembered at startup
* if "Report file size changes" is checked and the selected external optimizer is not installed the reported size
is -100% or ~ -99.9%. Fixed !
* fixed error running same batch twice with external optimizer and "Keep original date/time is checked
* file is now set as modified only if OptimizePNG is successfully executed
* fixed related issues reported in the RIOT forum, with the external PNG optimizer implementation
* fixed a memory leak in FileIsWritetable
! avoid some file locking problems
* fixed a bug with Paste from clipboard. Pasted images were shifted a few pixels.
* fixed a bug in the DLL version with the toolbar containing rotate, resize, compress to size, etc.
The toolbar should be enabled after successful image loading from the host application.